The Microsoft Management Console (MMC)
|To open ...
||Type [Windows key]-R ...
How to check whether a driver is loaded or not ? (2000 / XP)
This can be done with the driver verifier. Let's say we want to ensure the driver wmiacpi.sys is loaded:
- start the driver verifier tool: Start | Run | verifier
- select "Create standard parameters", then "Next"
- select "Choose driver name from a list", then "Next"
- tick the driver name we want to check: "wmiacpi.sys", then "Finish"
- the computer will require rebooting.
- open the driver verifier again
- select "Display information on the drivers currently being verified", then "Next"
- the result will appear !
How to enable / disable CD autorun (called "autoplay") in WinXP PRO?
- Start | Run | gpedit.msc (Group Policy)
- Expand Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | System
- Rclick Turn Off Autoplay | Properties
- in the Settings tab, select Enabled
How to perform BIOS Recovery?
This procedure has currently been tested (and approved !) on N1++
Recovery procedure for flashing the bios if the system has the wrong bios in ROM.
This Bios contains the boot block code to use a file with the name NEWBIOS.ROM.
If this file is present on a floppy drive when cold booted with an external keyboard attached while pressing Ctrl-Home this bios will be loaded into the Bios Rom.
If a wrong bios has been flashed and the system is inoperative do the following steps to recover using a boot block floppy:
- Power down the system.
- Copy ROM file into Bootable diskette in the name of NEWBIOS.ROM, and insert the diskette to machine.
- Attach an external keyboard.
- Press and hold the Ctrl-Home keys.
- Power up the system and continue to hold Ctrl-Home.
- There will be no video, this is normal
- Wait until you hear diskette activity and release Ctrl-Home keys
- System will beep at the end of boot block and the system will reboot.
- The system should boot normally now. (i.e. press F1 to set CMOS defaults)
- Next power down you can remove the external keyboard.
On a notebook (tested on N1++), you may get a message like :
Your hibernation file is either missing or corrupt,
Please see your documentation for details.
This is because the BIOS expects a "Save To File" file on the HDD and doesn't find it. To stop getting this message, simply disable this function into the BIOS setup:
Power Management Setup | Auto save to File | Disabled
How to reinitialize an "autonumber" field of an empty table in Access 97
- copy the something table into a new one with a different name: something_else selecting the "copy structure only" option.
- delete something.
- rename something_else into something.